- Do one-time setup required for releasing.
- Finish up any changes, close Jiras, assign Jiras to proper release(s).
More details on next steps are
Make sure you've not left open a previous release candidate staging repository.
Then release one or more artifacts into the Apache Nexus staging repository.
You can do multiple release:prepare/perform steps, with subsequent steps
depending on the previous artifacts in their "release" version.
- Do next steps in top release artifact (single module, or mult-module top project).
Release one or more artifacts into the staging repo.
- Scan poms to be sure there are no unintentional -SNAPSHOTs.
For multi-module projects, where all the submodules have the same version, use:
mvn release:prepare -DdryRun and diff the resulting poms
to verify nothing unintentional is dropped or updated incorrectly
mvn release:prepare -DdryRun -DautoVersionSubmodules.
mvn release:clean to restore projects
mvn deploy to deploy snapshot
mvn release:prepare [-DautoVersionSubmodules].
Try to accept the default suggestions for names; you might change the SVN tag to include a "-rc1"
suffix indicating a release candidate number.
- Repeat above steps for all things being released in one go (not already in an aggregate).
- login to https://repository.apache.org
using your Apache LDAP credentials, find the staging artifact, and right click - "close" it
after all things that are being included in this release are present.
- Copy any artifacts (together with their signings) to the staging spot. This is typically
in your people.apache.org/~[userid]/public_html directory. For releases which include eclipse-update-site
packagings, this should include any modifications to the composite update site or subsites (see
- Send [VOTE] message to dev list. List the staging repository that testers
will need to add to their
settings.xml files, and the distribution SVN repo link.
- Post RESULT message
- Delete any artifacts from the staging repo that aren't supposed to go to Maven Central
(currently only the bin.tar artifacts - the bin.zip is used for building uima-as)
- Promote the release(s) from the staging repositories
- Add the approved staged artifacts to the release/uima spot: log onto people.a.o and do an svn add
of the actual staged signed artifacts.
- update the UIMA website docs/d with any generated docs, in a manner to
minimize SVN space use, if possible.
This includes: PDFs, HTML versions of docbooks plus the index.html; all go on the
website under the uima.apache.org/d/ (non-SVN source) directory. Update the index.html
as needed for the version.
- Copy RELEASE_NOTES and issuesFixed
from the .../target/checkout where
the mvn release:perform was done from to the UIMA web site in doc/d/[project-version].
- Update the downloads page of the web site
- Update Jira version info to reflect the release status and date
- Cleanup the SVN tag for the release candidate, removing any -rcXX, to indicate the release.
- After release appears on maven central, post an appropriate announce letter
- Add a news item for the release
- Add release to next Board report
- Celebrate :-)